Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Convent Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I have a real affinity for libraries. Fiction, non-fiction, children's, periodicals, you name it, I can get absorbed in any section for hours.

As a child, my best friend and I would ride our bikes to the library at least three times a week to take advantage of the books and the blessed air conditioning. We wouldn't speak for hours; she in one corner intent on the latest trials of the Black Stallion, and I in the other corner immersed in Nancy Drew, her closeted gay friend George and her speedy yellow roadster.

Oh, the epithets Hannah Gruen must have muttered under her breath as she prepared midnight snacks for the overprivileged white folks in the front room.

As an adult, I've been on the board at my local library for many years and have donated countless volunteer hours.







Heck, I even had my wedding reception in a library.














Everything about a library engages my senses in the best way. The sight of the books marching neatly down the stacks, and the sound of the silence, interrupted only by an occaisonal voice, laptop keypads, and the rustle of turning pages.

But, oh the best part is the smell of the books. Organic and musty with a slight hint of binder's glue. If they bottled it I would wear it every day.

Eau de Geek, by Lancome. Henry Kissinger could be the spokesmodel.


The library at All Saints Convent is one of my favorite libraries. Not large in its physical dimensions, but immense in the sense of contemplative anticipation it bestows on any who enter.








Don't be fooled- the library mainly contains religious texts, most dealing with Catholicism, but these books are not for the faint of heart. Some of them are pretty exciting.

Don't mess with monks on the warpath.




As in most libraries, guests are expected to be silent. However, unlike most libraries, the silence that cloaks this room is joined by a spiritual peace as well. On a rainy day, I never want to leave.



4 comments:

  1. That sure is a beautiful library! I feel blessed by it just looking at the pictures. It's nothing like the lively and loud public library where I used to work. Never a quiet moment was had there, but that book smell is universal. I love that your wedding reception was in a library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful library. I love them too. My dad used to take me to one in Stockholm when I was really young, 1940-50s, and, at the time, all the books had red leather covers. I'm pretty sure it was leather because I still remember the smell and the excitement of seeing all those red books, row upon row of them. My favorite one here is definitely the main Pasadena library. Which, I found out, is built with lime stone from the very canyon where I now live. Small world, indeed. I have added your blog to Some of My Favorite Blogs in my sidebar. Hope that will send some traffic your way. At least it will make it easier for me to visit you with just one click.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and yours and hoping that Hurricane Sandy didnt damage your area...

    and yes that Library is LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!