Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Convent Tuesday, November 27, 2012


Some things in life are bad                                                                                                               
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse                   

When you’re chewing on life’s gristle                      
        
Don’t grumble, give a whistle                              
              
And this’ll help things turn out for the best ..
.And ... (Music slides into the song)
... always look on the bright side of life ... (Whistle) 
Always look on the light side of life ... (Whistle)
                                                                               Monty Python
                                                                              

Although I have gotten a bit better at looking at the bright side of things, I am genetically programmed to see the glass as half empty.

It's been a bit of a struggle, fighting a natural pessimism, one driven by an overactive thought process. Life would often hand me lemonade and I would make lemons out of it.

Sometimes good karma disguises itself- by the time you realize it was in front of you, you've moved it to the side.

It can be difficult to stay out of your own way.

Thank God, with age came wisdom. Well, first came anxiety, then bitterness. I believe I am moving into the wisdom stage. Baby steps, baby steps.








Today the convent is bathed in an icy rain, drops dripping off of leaves, railings and rooftops.












It's easy to recognize blessings when I'm here, somehow they are clearer, brighter, much easier to see. I look out the window at the hazy mist and can not be more grateful for the day God has given me.


There's no questioning why I'm here, or wondering what I should be doing instead to better myself and my situation. I still handle some real life work on my Convent Tuesdays, but emails that might normally cause hours of anxiety are handled with a polite out of office reply.

All that anxiety can wait until tomorrow, and by tomorrow the problem may well have resolved on its own.

That lemonade is lookin' mighty tasty.

3 comments:

  1. Life is one long lesson, I think. Thanks for stopping by. I'm still without energy, so just a short comment to a really thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl! We have more in common than a mutual appreciation of the Edge..I too love books and libraries and Monty Python and am an ecologist/scientist by training. Glad to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheryl,

    Love the Monty Python quote.

    I definitely get in my way and usually trip over myself. I think the solution is to wear sensible shoes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!