Monday, December 31, 2012

Bring it, 2013

Our house, prior to global warming.
New Year's Eve for me evokes a melancholia, as I reflect on the story of my time here, which seems to unfold quicker and quicker as the years march on.

As many poets have said, all change is tinged with melancholy, for we leave behind a part of ourselves.

Melancholia can be a good thing, as it gives yin to the yang of pure joy, salt for the sweetness of happiness. Songs of great beauty can be written in a minor key.

Instead of looking back on the past year, I'd like to look forward to what lies ahead in 2013.

-I make absolutely no resolutions on January 1st. Wait, that's a resolution.

-Oldest turns 17 and probably gets her driving license. Many visits to colleges are in store, as we decide which university will get most of our hard earned money and quite a bit of Oldest's liver.

-frontal cortex development continues for 15 year old Trouble. Thank you, God.

-LB goes to middle school and turns 12. It is officially time to get rid of that baby weight. Ha.

-Coach and I continue to travel through our middle aged marriage together, thankful that most of my midlife crisis has passed. Waiting to see if Coach falls down the rabbit hole, but I doubt it. Give that man a football game to watch, a steady job that pays the bills and an occasional snog and he manages just fine.

-Thousands of drivers face imminent peril as they travel Maryland roadways. See comment about driver's license, above.

-our friends face tough end of life decisions as they say final goodbyes to elderly parents Questions are raised and deeper levels of faith, or a deeper disillusionment for it, follows.

-Coach and I travel to New Orleans for Jazz Fest. The kids re-create scenes from Lord of the Flies as they muddle through at home. God bless whoever plays Piggy.

- In July, we go on a family vacation to the shore with Coach's family- 7 brothers and sisters, mother, and 20 or so grandchildren.

-In August, my hangover goes away. Damn Irish.

-In September I mark the one year anniversary of Small Blue Thing. I'm thinking of having a small get together in my backyard to celebrate. All followers invited. I think I can fit all 8 of you.






7 comments:

  1. :). Maryland in September should be divine!

    Beautiful house. Good to know someone else is raising three precocious children and surviving.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack, I tried to reply to your post and somehow deleted it!! So sorry!

      Delete
  3. Never invite a timber cruiser to your at home party; its somewhat akin to the opener of "the hobbit" ;)...

    otherwise, that is a very large list - will be interesting to see how all items pan out in the coming year! Happy newish year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there are more than 8 of us C, but glad to know I've got plans for September!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like quite an intersting year ahead. Amanda and myself usually find that either a whisky or snog fixes most things between us. Looking forward to the get together in September...Happy New Year!
    ps...love the pre-global warming piccie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A September blogoversary party! Woo hoo! I'll be there -- start laying in the booze now cuz I'm part Irish.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!