Monday, September 24, 2012

Brothers

Last night my husband and I, along with two good friends, attended the Avett Brothers concert in Baltimore. The show was fantastic, more than two hours long and full of incredible energy.



At times the energy became physical, the pulse of the bass notes pushing against us in waves as they exited the speakers nearby. The Avett brothers are a unique mix of bluegrass, folk, rock and other genres that come together to produce a sound that is, at its best, heartbreakingly beautiful.

As I expected, the biggest moments in the show were the simplest- those in which the brothers performed acoustically, using only their seemlessly linked voices and a guitar to fill every empty space in the venue. The crowd became silent and this silence formed an integral part of the music. Incredible.

It's apparent that the brothers are part of a tight knit family as evidenced by the references concerning the importance of family in their songs.  In particular, one song conveyed a meaning so personal that I almost felt as if I was channeling their mother. I was so touched. God, I'm old.

To experience intense and intimate family love while standing among hundreds of perfect strangers is an opportunity to be savored. Thank you, Avett Brothers.

"I wonder which brother is better
Which one our parents loved the most
I sure did get in lots of trouble
They seemed to let the other go
A tear fell from my father's eye
I wondered what my dad would say
He said, "I love you and I'm proud of you both,
In so many different ways."
...
Always remember there was nothing worth sharing
Like the love that let us share our name
Always remember there was nothing worth sharing
Like the love that let us share our name."
                                                                        The Avett Brothers


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!